Thursday, February 25, 2010

Well... Food is on track at least...

Hiya Rosebuds!

It's been a little while possums, and I don't even have too much to say for myself other than after taking a hiatus to facilitate the DTs from the fags, I am ACTUALLY glad to be eating well again!

This is not the first time I've tried Champix (the smoking cessation aid), but it is, by far, the LEAST effective trial. The doctor assured me the drug DOES NOT lose it's efficacy with repeated use, but ALAS... tears were shed and things were thrown. I was pretty sure I might hurt someone... even Schmeicel stayed out of the way. I can only imagine he felt like Christina Crawford... without the budget.

Anyway- today is my official 21 day mark (you know that habit forming/breaking benchmark everyone talks about)- so no more excuses... before I go making sloth and gluttony two UNWANTED habits; let's hold on to the good changes and slough the transitional allowances made!

To back track a wee bit... a thank you to send out.

This was my lovely Valentine's Day gift! Woke up to these lovelies, with a thoughtful card on my kitchen table!

MWAH! Thank you!
A few days after that I had Kiki and Puddin' over for their anniversary dinner after meeting with my Auntie Rachel for lunch (finally got to gift the Tal Ronnen book, can't wait for some recipe tips!)... Inspired by my new FAVE show Come Dine With Me, I made: Tartiflette of caramelized onion, goat cheese and pear topped with a balsamic glaze AND Asparagus/ Summer Pea Risotto. This was accompanied by a steak for my Da and some Ice Cream with Goldshlager that was never to be. I had a great time! I loved cooking for them (I know they'll eat anything with a smile) and finally had a chance to use some of my new dishes (thanks Loulou) and glassware.

So that's pretty much the highlight reel of things that happened between sulking and sleeping. I finally realize why people sleep so much on Celebrity Rehab... it's easier than being a grumpy mare!
There's more to fill in I'm sure... will get to it as it comes up.
On to today! After such shyte for a couple of weeks... it was time for a FIBRE FIX!
Tried to make a Cabbage Strata.
Oven preheated to 350 degrees- square Pyrex or baking dish greased up for some love!
First, blanch 10-12 savoy cabbage leaves for 5-7 mins then drain and dry.

Toast 3 tbsp of pine nuts- reserve until assembly
You will need approx 1 1/4 c of drained ricotta. Cheesecloth (most aptly named) is great for straining or draining ricotta, yogurt or cottage cheese- as is a clean J-Cloth. Because I like to keep my strata a little ghetto... I just put the cheese into a coffee filter with a can of corn on top and let it sit in a colander while preparing the rest of the recipe!
Next, saute 3 small leeks with some garlic and olive oil and add about 3/4 cup of veggie stock- let that simmer for approx 25 mins


When that's done, reserve the leeks and add 3/4 can of crushed or diced tomatoes to the same pan. I added more garlic at this point, but it wasn't called for. The tomatoes will need to reduce for about 15 mins, so this is a good time to get the ricotta out of it's draining medium and ready to assemble.


Just like a lasagna- layer your baking vessel's bottom with 2 or 3 leaves of cabbage (whatever completely covers the area), then about 1/3 of the tomato reduction- then some leeks (about 1/3 of the reserved amount). Next dollop about a third of the pressed out ricotta and top with approx 1 tbsp of pine nuts.

Bingo Bango Bongo- three repeats of this (or whatever- I ran out of filling, but had leftover cabbage- so cut it up and topped the casserole) and you should be out of ingredients and oven rarin' to go. You'll want to make sure you save some saucy bits showing (oh no she didn't) so they can crisp up and the liquids will evaporate a bit.

Uncovered, this goes in on the middle rack for about 25 mins (I ended up leaving mine in for 40 mins- because I only have one kitchen timer and I set it for spaghetti squash... oops)

The time bandit...

Here's one last close up before it went in...

And the finished Cabbage Strata!

All in all... it was pretty good. It's not knocking my socks off... but was relatively filling and other than the ricotta- pretty clean. You COULD use a cashew cheese in here, but I think you'd need to heavily salt this if that was your dairy replacement.
So after tonight's shift (and pretty icky weather), I have vowed that I will go home- get 7 hours of sleep (shouldn't be a problem at all), get up and GO TO THE GYM! It's been a bit... and I know that the horse and I never have any problems, I just assume he's mad when I fling myself from him! (Makes sense in my head...)
I'm also going to give no-knead bread a try if I can find a recipe for which I have all ingredients!
Til tomorrow...
Slainte!
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have you back love! I am very interested in the cabbage strata, you may utilize my guinea pig skills on this one :)

    ReplyDelete